Virtual threads are just objects in the heap, there may be millions of them. There is no API support for enumerating all virtual threads.
Virtual threads are not active members of a thread group.
JDI ThreadStartEvent/ThreadDeathEvents are sent for all threads when enabled. This may impact performance if there are a huge number of virtual threads.
JDWP EventRequest/Set defines a new PlatformThreadsOnly filter that can be used when requesting THREAD_START and THREAD_END events. This allows these events to be filtered for virtual threads so they are not sent to the front-end/debugger.
JDI ThreadReference defines isVirtual() to test if a thread is a virtual thread.
JDWP ThreadReference/IsVirtual is the equivalent.
The following are not currently supported for virtual threads:
- JDI ThreadReference.stop
- JDI ThreadReference.interrupt
- JDI ThreadReference.popFrame
- JDI ThreadReference.forceEarlyReturn
- JDI StackFrame.setValue
JDWP agent options
As a temporary solution to allow existing debuggers work with virtual threads, the JDWP agent will track virtual threads so they can be enumerated for debuggers that want to enumerate all virtual threads. The options that control this behaviour are:
|Option Name and Value||Description||Default|
|enumeratevthreads=y|n||thread lists include vthreads||n|
|trackvthreads=some|all||track some or all vthreads||some|
|fakevthreadstartevent=y|n||send fake start event when needed||y|
- enumeratevthreads control whether or not virtual threads are included in list of threads returned by JDWP VirtualThread/AllThreads command.
- trackvthreads controls which virtual threads will be returned when enumeratevthreads=y.
- fakevthreadstartevent is independent of the two others. If y, then before sending an event, send a fake THREAD_START event for if the debugger hasn’t already been notified about the virtual thread that the event occurs on. Note currently there is a bug, and if trackvthreads=all, no fake THREAD_START will ever be sent. This is only an issue if the debug agent is started after some virtual threads have been created.