Welcome to the Valhalla Project!
- Value Types
- Generic Specialization
- Enhanced volatiles
- And possibly other related topics, such as reified generics.
This Project is sponsored by the HotSpot Group.
- Valhalla Project
- Mailing lists
- valhalla-dev is the primary list used for all technical discussion. (archives)
- valhalla-spec-comments is for sending comments, suggestions, and other feedback directly to the EG.
Only EG members may subscribe to this list, but anyone may post, although posts are moderated in order to prevent spam.
The EG will read all messages sent to this list. (archives)
- valhalla-spec-experts is the moderated EG mailing list for discussion of specification only.
Implementation discussions should take place on valhalla-dev. (archives)
- valhalla-spec-observers is for those who wish to monitor, and perhaps discuss the EG's progress.
All messages sent to the valhalla-spec-experts list are automatically forwarded to this list.
Anyone may subscribe to this list, and any subscriber may post. EG members are under no obligation to follow the traffic on this list. (archives)
The following provide a sketch of possible features and implementation approaches.
- JVM Languages Summit 2015 (August 2015)
- State of the Specialization (July 2014)
- JVM Language Summit: Evolving the JVM (video, July 2014)
- ClassDynamic (June 2014)
- State of the Values (April 2014)
The following is a list of community presentations
- Primitives in Generics - Presentation from Bulgarian JUG (29 Jan 2015)
- Results of Bulgarian JUG Hackathon (29 Jan 2015)
- Bulgarian JUG Hackathon background: parts 1, 2 and 3 (07 March 2015)
How you can help!
If you're new to OpenJDK then it is strongly advised that you join the Adoption Group and learn about OpenJDK before diving into advanced Valhalla topics.
Most theoretical ideas have been well explored by the core Members! The greatest help can therefore be given by those who:
- Have read the Additional Resources
- Gone through the valhalla-dev Archives
- Provide concrete prototypes of their ideas and/or
- Try out concrete prototypes and then give input into discussions of prototype semantics.
Levels of expertise / suggested participation:
- Full Time JVM internals expert / implementer
Please join the mailing list and produce concrete prototypes, try out the nightly builds and give feedback on existing prototypes.
- Java/JVM Language, Framework, Library authors/experts
Please join the mailing list, try out the nightly builds and give feedback on existing prototypes.
- Day to Day Java Developers (or developers using other JVM languages)
Please join the mailing list and join the Adoption Group to participate in hack days on stable prototypes.
Source Code and Building Valhalla
Valhalla is built the same as most OpenJDK forests, i.e. At the command line execute:
hg clone http://hg.openjdk.java.net/valhalla/valhalla valhalla cd valhalla chmod u+x get_source.sh ./get_source.sh bash configure make images
Once you've done this once you only need to repeat the last three commands when you want to update to the latest version.
There is a general OpenJDK build guide if you need help.
Recent space activity