This wiki is written by and for programmers working on the HotSpot JVM system.
Intentions and non-intentions
This wiki contains:
- An architectural guide to the Runtime, Compiler, GC, Serviceability, etc.
- Details on performance techniques.
- A place to document likely future work (major refactorings or cleanups, new optimizations, etc.).
- Quick links to similar information in other places on the web.
- Information which, once written, is expected to remain accurate and relevant, as long as the related code remains stable.
Please look for the following types of information elsewhere:
- Not non-architectural or non-technical developer notes.
- Not an introduction or quick-start for working on the JVM. (TO DO: Put links here.)
- Not build instructions.
- Not a substitute for comments in the source code.
- Not a list of bugs or tasks.
- Not a blog, forum, or the comments section thereof.
Interesting tasks to do
- Extract links and info. from messages and blog postings, especially via hotspot-dev@openjdk.
- Extract links and info. from historical Sun mailing lists and wikis. (Sun engineers have to do this!)
- Write down understandings of major modules as they are (re-)acquired from trips through the code.