Not everybody will like all of the code style rules, but hopefully most people will like most of them. More important, by following these rules we will have a consistent codebase with all the aforementioned benefits. This is a "living document" and will be amended as we go along. When new issues arise, we will add them to this list.
IMPORTANT: Do not reformat code as part of a bug fix. The makes more changes for code reviewers to track and review, If you want to reformat a class, make a change set that has only formatting changes. Do not reformat code that you do not own.
- No trailing whitespace. Most (all?) IDEs can be configured to automatically trim trailing whitespace
- Use Spaces not Tabs.
- Use 4 space indentation
- Keep the single empty line at the end of every file
- Insert a space between the Copyright notice and the package statement
- Insert a space between the package statement and any import statements
- There should be one space between the last import statement and the class documentation